Embassy trip: day 1...Addis Ababa

We boarded Ethiopian air flight 501 at Dulles airport saturday morning at 9:45 am. While awaiting our boarding call, we skyped with Madison, Keegan, Cole and our Judy on a whim, which was wonderful. During our video chat, a call rings into our Skype account….Transition House. What? Quickly we pick up the call, with madison begging us to figure out how to 3-way video them in, to find Meseret and Kamise and a few of their other friends looking on. There was no appointment scheduled. Just a random call from our girls in Ethiopia. We told them we were coming to bring them home to Florida. They smiled big. They had no idea we were going to show up the next day. An unexpected treat to talk with them. We nestled into our cozy little seating arrangement for the 13 hour flight to the ends of the earth…at least that’s what it felt like to me. Sitting to my right was an Ethiopian man who’d been very involved with CRU as a college student and now works with compassion Intl.l

Sorry to leave you hang in’ but this jet lagged body keeps nodding off here in the lobby of our guest house…must write later when I awake


After spending the morning getting grounded in Addis, we arrived at the transition house where the girls have lived the past 4 months, greeted by mostly new faces. There were only a handful of children we’d met on our last trip here, which was encouraging to find most of the kids had been taken home. For those still remaining, my heart ached. I asked Hannah if she knew when she was going home…she didn’t.

Meseret and Kamise scurried across the courtyard into our embraces, all squeezing tightly. We lingered as they told all of the other children and nannies goodbye, most with the traditional Ethiopian “grip right hands, bump right shoulders. Only a few did they embrace with squeeze tight hugs. Those were the special friends. Tears filled my eyes, pondering the # of friends they’ve said goodbye to over the past 9 months. They’ve become skilled at living with such uncertainty.

We settled into our guest house and laid low for the rest of the day. During shower time, Kamise laughed out loud when I held up the spraying spicket, remembering our last shower adventure. We giggled as she kept attempting to “get under” the spray, for the bathroom was cold. By the end, both girls surrendered to the spray which I thought was a quick transition to the newness of the shower spout.

Between the barking dogs, male voices chattering outside our windows, the sound of the water heater heating the water and a bed like a concrete block….sleep was challenging to come by. We are such comfort-driven Americans.